Wednesday, January 04, 2006

How Pasolini helped me in interview

Last year in October, I attended the interview for Italian Government Scholarships offered by the Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India. I had completed two years of language learning. There were quite a good number of candidates who attended the interview, and in my category I had to compete with atleast 30 candidates. When I reached the interview venue at 9 in the morning (Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi) a person from Chennai was already there. Our turn came only in the afternoon. Cursing the Department officials for their failure to manage the timings of the interview we actually killed time. When my turn came finally at 3 in the afternoon, I was completely exhausted and mentally tired. Routine questions were asked, “why do you want to learn Italian” etc. All along the interview I wanted to express my interest in Italian Films and cinema as a whole. After asking about my academic interests, research areas and ambitions one of the board members asked. “Who is your favorite director in Italian?” “Pasolini”, I replied. “Why do you like Pasolini?” question from another member. I thought for a while. “I suoi film sono le poesie” I replied. “ Le Poesie!” all of them wondered. “Yes,” “they are poetry.” The interview board found it very difficult to get along with this statement, it seemed. But no one showed it outside. As a conclusion they asked me whether I know the importance of this year related to Pasolini. “It is the thirtieth year of his death, I replied.”

Postscript:
I was proposed by the Ministry of HRD for the award of the said scholarship. I now await a confirmation letter from University of Foreigners, Perugia, Italy.

No comments: